Gynecomastia is a condition that causes an unnatural enlargement of breast tissues in men. Obviously, this condition can result in embarrassment, emotional trauma, and even psychological harm to my patients - regardless of their age. Some forms of the condition can be seen in infants, adolescents, as well as the elderly.
Unfortunately, physiological male breast growth that is not caused by being overweight is usually seen in the early teen years, with about 50% of cases developing by age 14. The 1990s saw a 500% increase in specialist visits for this condition alone.
The Struggle is Real
The embarrassing nature of the condition can make it even more difficult for patients to reach out to their parents or doctor for help. If you’ve suffered from the condition for all of your adult life, you know how wearisome it can be.
Men suffering from abnormal breast growth may experience embarrassment during the simplest of activities - such as taking their shirt off for a dip at the pool, or wearing certain types of clothing in public. When you should be busy enjoying time spent with your friends and family, you may see your social life impaired or your personal network dwindling.
Treating Male Breast Enlargement
Liposuction is a straightforward and effective management tool for male breast growth. It is usually preferred in the mild to moderate phases of gynecomastia. Earlier intervention is key, as more progressive forms of breast growth may require complete resection and surgery of the breast.
Not only does liposuction reduce the size of the breast, but it also makes it possible for me to enhance the contour of the chest along the front and lateral surfaces. Choosing liposuction earlier can reduce the extensiveness of your procedure - giving you benefits much more quickly and reducing your recovery time.
With Liposuction, we are able to quickly and easily eliminate excessive fatty deposits throughout the body - including the breast tissues. This makes it an excellent option for my male patients suffering with gynecomastia. Plus, the results of the treatment are permanent.
If the breast gland is also enlarged, this can be removed through a small ¾ inch incision right at the margin of the areola.
If you or your son is experiencing male breast growth, you deserve a board-certified plastic surgeon who can relate to the situation in a professional manner without causing additional embarrassment. My El Paso office provides confidential and friendly services to patients of all backgrounds and needs. Please call today to schedule an evaluation!
To schedule an appointment with Dr. Agullo, you may call (915) 590-7900 or fill out our online contact form.
In an overly body conscious society, no matter how “in shape” we are, or the overall level of happiness we have with our appearance, there always seems to be small problem areas that we wish could be “fixed.” In some instances, liposuction could be your saving grace.
The good news is that Dr. Frank Agullo at Southwest Plastic Surgery of El Paso and Las Cruces can work miracles through the use of one surprisingly useful tool…the liposuction cannula. Here are some body parts that you may not have thought about applying liposuction
to that could actually make a tremendous difference in your appearance.
- Your Breasts – A lot of women have large breasts that could benefit from liposuction versus a complete breast reduction. Some women love their large breasts but would like to have the shape “touched up.” Lipo can remove fatty tissue and help reshape the breasts without leaving scars. It’s important to note that this procedure is not for significant size reduction but more for smaller reshaping.
- Your Husband’s Chest – You’re not the only one looking in the mirror contemplating a change. Many men face the development of male breasts as they age, known as gynecomastia. This condition can be very uncomfortable for men to deal with. Lipo can be an alternative that can help return your man’s chest to its previous more defined and muscular shape.
- Your Upper Torso – Your Upper Torso – Do you suffer from fatty areas around your bra line? What about small fat pockets between your underarm and breasts? Lipo can reshape the torso to reveal a flatter and more evenly shaped section that no longer bulges or gathers in the wrong places.
- Your Jawline – A lot of men and women deal with one of the first signs of aging earlier in life than they expect, the beginning of jowls or fat deposits around the neck and chin and the loosening of skin. This area can be slimmed and tightened to potentially take years off your appearance.
- Your Ankles – Do you sometimes feel that your ankles seem to extend simply from your calves and that there isn’t any definition between your calves and your ankles? There has been a term coined “cankles” that no one wants to be associated with. Liposuction can also help this area by giving your legs a more defined calf to ankle ratio and making them appear longer, leaner and younger!
Dr. Frank Agullo can guide you to make sure that liposuction will work for your personal needs. If you’re overall happy with your body and are looking for small amounts of contouring, liposuction might be worth looking into to help smooth and reshape those areas you see differently in your mind. Many of these liposuction procedures can be performed in the office using light sedation.
For more information or to schedule your consultation with board-certified plastic surgeon Dr. Frank Agullo, please call our El Paso office at (915) 590-7900 or our Las Cruces office at (575) 520-5041. We look forward to helping your achieve the contours you desire.