Protein Rich Plasma (PRP) for facial rejuvenation
As people age, they can develop fine lines and creases in their face, particular in areas that are impressionable because of facial expressions. Those “laugh lines” are anything but funny and the crow’s feet under your eyes may be getting under your skin, so to speak. The reason for this happening is due in large part to loss of elasticity and when the underlying tissue starts to break down, it can take away from the plumpness and fullness of the skin’s natural appearance.
Dr. Frank Agullo is a specialist in all cosmetic facial procedures, including protein rich plasma (PRP) injections.
Protein Rich Plasma is blood plasma that has been enriched with platelets, which are then activated to release multiple growth factors, and cytokines that promote healing. PRP is currently used to treat hair loss, improve graft take after hair transplantation, to improve wound healing, and as filler for facial rejuvenation. The activated protein rich plasma (PRP) is then injected or applied topically to the face to smooth, fill and enhance the creases and wrinkles and create a more youthful appearance.
PRP injections are often combined with fat grafting or facial fillers like Juvederm, Restylane, or Radiesse. The latter is referred to by some as a Vampire Facelift, Vampire Lift, or Vampire Filler.
PRP injections will transfer volume and growth factors that will rejuvenate the face from inside out. The growth factors will improve collagen formation and new blood vessel formation, which translate to younger appearing skin.
PRP Techniques for Facial Rejuvenation
The treatment consists of drawing blood from a vein in your arm, in a similar fashion as when blood is drawn for routine labs. The blood is then processed in a centrifuge to separate and obtain the protein rich plasma. Within a few minutes after your blood is drawn, the PRP is ready to be applied.
There are three different methods in which PRP can be used for facial rejuvenation:
- PRP injections. This procedure is used in mild cases of volume loss and to help give the face a younger appearance. The injections will replace lost volume to the face as well as stimulate collagen production.
- PRP combined with fillers. When volume replacement is a main objective, the PRP is combined with fillers such as Restylane, Juvederm, or Radiesse. This procedure if often referred to as by some as a Vampire Facelift, Vampire Lift, or Vampire Filler. This procedure combines the benefits of volume restoration with the collagen production stimulated by the growth factors in your own blood.
- PRP combined with fat grafting. The most powerful rejuvenating procedure of the before mentioned, the combination of fat grafting and protein rich plasma gives the most dramatic results. Benefits of the procedure include:
- The transfer of stem cells contained in your own fat. Stem cells are cells that are ready to produce new specialized cells.
- Volume replacement with your own “live” tissue.
- The transfer of 8 different growth factors contained in the PRP to the face to stimulate collagen production and skin rejuvenation at the dermal later.
- Long lasting results. The fat that is transferred and survives will remain in place permanently.
- PRP facial. This is the least invasive procedure of the four with the quickest recovery. The face is prepared with a light dermabrasion or microneedling technique. The PRP is then applied as a topical treatment to promote collagen formation and quicker healing. This procedure will result in smoother skin and is often recommended for acne scarring.
The PRP procedures may be repeated a few times in order to achieve further improvements according to the goals of each patient, but one session is often enough to produce the desired results. Swelling usually takes place after the facial treatments but will resolve itself within a few weeks’ time. The degree of swelling depends upon the specific technique, volume, and which areas of the face they are applied to. It also depends upon the individual person and their ability to heal.
The applications are safe, far reaching and natural looking to the naked eye, often lasting a long time. Unlike more complicated surgical procedures, the doctor can perform PRP treatments without the need for general anesthesia. It is done as an easier outpatient service.
What are the risks of PRP treatments?
The risks associated with protein rich plasma treatments for facial rejuvenation are reduced compared with that of other types of facial cosmetic procedures because there are no incisions to be made. Most people can accomplish the aesthetic procedure without having to go through with major anesthesia.
However, it does require the utmost skill and trust in your provider. Dr. Frank Agullo is a Clinical Associate Professor of Plastic Surgery at the Texas Tech University Health Sciences Center, Paul L. Foster School of Medicine as well as Affiliate Professor at the University of Texas at El Paso. This means he is double board certified and more than qualified to accomplish the procedure successfully on behalf of his patients.
Risks are low, but could include:
- Swelling / bruising
- Temporary skin numbness or soreness
- Lumpy or skin imperfections underneath the surface
- Over or under correction of the defective region
Dr. Agullo is very detail oriented and takes every precaution to ensure his patient’s satisfaction.
How much does PRP skin rejuvenation cost?
Your face is unique and therefore your treatment will be equally so. The doctor will prepare an estimate during your initial consultation based on the appropriate procedure and your goals.
Other variables include the plastic surgeon’s fee, time spent in the facility and type of anesthesia. The average can be anywhere from $1,500 – $2,000 as an entire comprehensive price for the procedure as a whole.
Flaws in your face that show signs of early aging can make you feel sad, tired, depressed or generally take away your naturally happy state of mind. When you look good, your body feels good to match the way your appearance reflects. PRP rejuvenation can greatly improve your self-esteem and can even bring more self-worth and respect from others in the way they perceive you.
Schedule a consultation today for PRP rejuvenation therapy.
You’ll be so glad you did!