Breast Augmentation Revision
If you have gone through with a breast augmentation or received breast implants, either recently or a long time ago, it may be time for a breast augmentation revision. Dissatisfaction with breast surgery is the number one reason why women go through with a breast augmentation revision, either due to an improper initial procedure, complications, or because she may not be happy with the size, shape or appearance after completion of the breast augmentation.
Reasons why women seek breast augmentation or breast implant revisions include:
- Capsular Contracture
- Implant displacement
- Post-operative sagging
- Asymmetrical breasts
- Dissatisfaction with shape or size
- Leaking or uncomfortable implants
- Botched nipples
- Noticeable scars
- Updates after a lapse in time since last breast augmentation
- Replacement of breast implants
- Embarrassment or emotional stress from past breast surgery gone awry
Breast augmentation revision is a very personalized matter. For women who have experienced the pain of having a botched breast surgery, they may be fearful of another bad experience. Some women feel traumatized, disappointed and a lack of self-esteem that is directly linked to the unsatisfactory breast augmentation.
Dr. Agullo is a board-certified plastic surgeon in El Paso, TX who has earned prestigious awards for his work, and he sees many patients who have gone through one, two, three or even more inappropriate breast procedures before coming to him for help. Many of these women have been at the end of their rope and ready to give up on ever achieving beautiful breasts. Rest assured, Dr. Agullo serves his patients confidently and empathetically on this discreet matter. He has helped hundreds of women to reverse the damage done by these surgeries, and he is happy to set them on their way to healing and feeling better soon. He is just as happy to celebrate the victory of beating breast cancer with his patients who have lost a breast at the hands of this terrible disease.
Breast Augmentation Revision Surgery and Breast Implant Revision in Southwest Texas
Are you a good candidate for breast augmentation revision? For women who have mixed feelings about going through with another painful procedure, Southwest Plastic Surgery of El Paso, TX offers a very compassionate and confidential atmosphere. You are a good candidate if you have been hiding behind baggy clothing or if you avoid wearing bathing suits due to embarrassment of your breasts. Poor body image, self-esteem and lack of sex drive are all distressful things that can result after having a bad breast procedure performed.
However, not every woman who comes in for breast augmentation revision is a candidate to undergo another procedure. Only a thorough consultation and exam can lead to possible alternatives for your reconstruction.
You may also consider breast revision if:
- You want to change your breast size, shape or reconstruct misshapen breast
- You have breast implants that are leaking or deflated
- You have a capsular contracture, which is the tightening of scar tissue next to your breast implant
- Your breasts have changed due to dramatic weight loss
- You are unhappy with the results of a breast augmentation procedure
Breast Augmentation Revision Techniques
Various techniques are used to perform breast augmentation revision. The goal of surgery may either be to address complications of a previous breast augmentation, or to fix old or leaking breast implants, or to fix aesthetic issues:
- Implant exchange
- Implant pocket revision
- Implant pocket exchange
- Fat grafting
- Soft tissue reinforcement with mesh
Technology has become more advanced with breast augmentation tools that give you a preview of what your breasts will look like after surgery. Through the Vectra 3D imaging system, Dr. Agullo can show you the results of what your breasts will look like even before going through with a breast revision or breast implant replacement in El Paso.
Removal of the breast implant is fairly straightforward. Sometimes they can be removed and changed to look even better than their pre-augmentation shape and size. Depending on how long you have had the implants, you may decide to change the size, although keep in mind this may take more time for your skin to adjust. This depends on your body and skin elasticity.
Breast augmentation revisions and implant surgery requires the use of general anesthesia. Although most often done as an outpatient procedure, you will still need to plan ahead and bring a friend to give you a ride. The length of time spent reconstructing your breasts will depend on how extensive the damage is that has been done. In general, a simple breast implant reinstallation takes approximately an hour. Dr. Agullo will go over the specific techniques he will use for your case. You can expect an incision around the areolas or below the base crease of your breast. These incisions vary in length, depending on which type and size of breast implants you choose. Rest assured that he will do everything possible to prevent your incisions from being noticeable, however depending on how well you heal and take care of yourself will determine whether or not you may see visible scars.
These are the three most common breast implant or breast augmentation surgical incisions:
- Inframmamary: Just underneath the breast
- Axillary: The least noticeable incision, located in the deepest point of the armpit
- Periareolar: Can be either directly above or just underneath the chest muscles
Dr. Agullo will then insert and place the new breast implants over the muscle behind the breast tissue, or below the pecs. He can only determine the best position for the implants based upon the individual’s body type and the style breast implant they choose. Plus, if there has been damage done by a previous breast augmentation gone bad, he must see how much healthy breast tissue can be salvaged. The incisions will then be sewn up with layers of sutures around the breast tissue and skin. Over time, these small lines will become less apparent and some disappear altogether. Everyone is different.
In many cases, specially after multiple capsular contractures, considerable weight loss, or thin and lax tissues, reinforcement of your breast is necessary. Dr. Agullo reinforces your tissue using a tissue scaffold called Seri Surgical Scaffold or Strattice Reconstructive Tissue Matrix. Revision surgeries often require the creation of a new pocket for the implant and the scaffold allows for its reinforcement to prevent capsular contracture and displacement.
If you experienced significant drooping of the breast after breast augmentation or if you want to downsize your implants, you may require a breast lift at the same time as the revision procedure or staged at a later time. You can learn more about breast lift procedures here.
Another powerful adjunct to breast revision procedures are fat injections. This is a very powerful tool that can be used to pad the breast in cases of palpable implants or rippling, and to create better symmetry in areas of tissue loss or discrepancy.
Types of Replacement Breast Implants
If you have done a breast implant or augmentation before, you probably already know a lot about the different types of breast implants available. If you are unhappy with silicone implants, then you can try saline implants, or vice versa. If you are trying to correct a size that you were unhappy with, then you can have different sized implants inserted to replace them. Dr. Agullo will help you determine the best implants for your breast implant replacement surgery. You can discuss your satisfaction – or dissatisfaction – with your current breasts and he can recommend the best corrective measures.
There are two main types of breast implants to choose from:
- Saline Breast Implants: These are the best option if you have asymmetrical breasts, because the breast implants are filled with sterile saltwater and can be adjusted to the optimal preference. Another benefit of saline is in case of leakage, the water can be absorbed naturally by your body. Saline breast implants are less expensive and the incision marks are smaller. Breast augmentations which use saline implants feature a noticeably round and firm bosom. However, saline breast implants do require updates/replacement after about ten years.
- Silicone Implants: For a more natural appearance, silicone breast implants look, feel and move much like “real” breasts. The elastic gel of the silicone is really realistic, which makes them an often favorite choice of women who have gone through a mastectomy. Silicone is more lightweight, giving a woman a more feminine and realistic silhouette. They also have less risk of rippling, rupturing or leaking. Dr. Agullo recommends silicone breast implants from these high quality vendors: Allergan Natrelle, Sientra and Mentor Memory Gel.
- Gummy Bear Implants: The most natural appearing implants available to date. These implants are shaped to produce very uniform contours and avoid the round appearance in the upper chest. This is the ideal implant for women seeking an improved, yet discrete, breast enhancenment.
Getting Ready for Breast Augmentation Revision
Many women who go through with breast implant revision or augmentation claim that it does not hurt as much as the first breast augmentation. Perhaps it is because they know and understand what to expect, or maybe their bodies adjust quicker than with the first surgery. This is not a guarantee that you will not experience some soreness or pain, as with any surgery.
Here are several preparedness things to keep in mind before breast augmentation revision in Southwest TX:
- Avoid eating or drinking after midnight the evening prior to your breast augmentation surgery.
- Avoid using lotions or bath products on your skin on the chest, breast, stomach, arms, and other points close to the surgery.
- Ask someone to bring you to and from the appointment, because you cannot drive after receiving anesthesia and you will be in too much pain initially. Get help with chores, errands and childcare, if possible.
- Bring a bag with your ID and paperwork.
- Remember to wear a button-up blouse or loose fitting shirt to avoid pulling anything on or off over your head.
- Cease smoking at least two weeks before surgery and while you are healing, to avoid the chance of stroke, delayed healing, infections or blood clots.
Breast augmentation revision surgery is a complex procedure that should be done at a certified surgical facility or hospital. Southwest Plastic Surgery in Las Cruces, NM and El Paso, TX is qualified to do corrective and specialized breast corrective procedures.
Recovering from Breast Revision Surgery
Be mindful of how you feel after surgery. If you notice any change in heart rate, dizziness, shortness of breath, blacking out or chest pain, call your doctor. Never take aspirin. Dr. Agullo will prescribe the right medication for you to help alleviate any pain. Every person is different, so you may be given a different type of prescription than someone with a higher threshold. Do not do any “home remedies”.
Recovery times vary, depending on the placement of the new breast implants. Those positioned above the muscle may have shorter recovery periods than breast implants placed underneath the muscle. Type of anesthesia is also a factor. You may feel tired, so it is best to take it easy and get some rest. But make sure you get up and walk around from time-to-time, to get the circulation moving and avoid getting blood clots.
Since you have done this before, you may remember that your breasts will feel sore and tender for a few weeks after breast augmentation surgery. You will be given a new, special bra to wear day and night, which will help your breasts heal better. Never wear any underwire or padded bras for at least a couple of months after breast surgery.
Follow the doctor’s instructions, even if you are feeling better in a couple of weeks. Avoid any heavy lifting. Very soon, you will start feeling good about your breasts again! You may feel more confidence than ever and want to go shopping for a new bathing suit!
Cost of Breast Implant Replacement and Breast Revisions
Pricing varies depending on the extent of the treatment or surgery. You can see a list of the approximate prices of each procedure on our current fee schedule. Dr. Agullo charges a consultation fee of $100, which is applied to the cost of your treatment. Generally speaking, cosmetic plastic surgery is considered “elective” and is not covered by most insurance plans. The prices listed on our fee schedule represent the minimum cost of the procedures, including anesthesia and surgical facility fees, medical tests, garments, and recovery products. The cost of prescription medications, however, is not included. The exact price of each procedure can only be determined after a thorough consultation. All fees must be paid in full prior to the scheduled treatment.
If you had a bad experience in the past, you can avoid making the same mistake twice by choosing a qualified, reputable and board certified plastic surgeon who is a member of The American Society of Plastic Surgery. Ask for recommendations, read reviews and ask the plastic surgeon if they have hospital admittance permission. Even if your surgery is an outpatient procedure, knowing that the surgeon is granted access by hospitals is a sign that the surgeon is a highly qualified individual. Make sure your breast revision is completed at an accredited surgical facility. By now, you may realize the importance of choosing a plastic surgeon who is able to provide proven references, high quality tools and who can deliver the best performance.