Fat Reduction Surgery
Did you know that getting moderate fat reduction surgery can actually be good for you?
It’s true. For those overweight patients who have a high risk of heart disease or diabetes, but who are unable to lose weight through traditional forms of weight loss methods, a fat reduction surgery can actually lower a patient’s risk for heart disease or diabetes. That is because being obese or overweight are some of the leading contributors of heart disease and diabetes.
Patients who opt for fat reduction surgery in El Paso can expect to achieve moderate weight loss through this revolutionary cosmetic procedure.
Who is a good candidate for fat reduction?
People who seek fat reduction are noticeably overweight, yet perhaps not large enough to be considered a candidate for bariatric surgery, which is more extensive and risky. Fat reduction is perfect for both men and women who:
- Have been told by their doctor that they need to lose a significant amount of weight
- Are too busy to dedicate the time needed to lose weight through traditional methods
- Noticed weight gain from pregnancy with increased difficulty in weight loss after bearing children
- Have been severely obese for years and tried dieting many times to no avail
Dr. Frank Agullo uses a combination of abdominoplasty and liposuction to achieve astounding body transformations through fat reduction surgery. Patients can expect significant weight and size reductions. How would you like relatives and friends to stop dead in their tracks to give you compliments on your successful weight loss? They will!
Techniques used for fat reduction cosmetic procedure
Although some people may need additional body enhancing procedures beyond just the abdominoplasty and liposuction, this varies dependent upon the individual person, where they carry the most weight, current physical health, and other factors. Liposuction is the most common method for body shaping, so when combined with an abdominoplasty, this technique will greatly improve the dynamics of a patient’s body. Using modern equipment and profound skill, Dr. Agullo smoothes and contours the targeted areas.
Some of the combined procedures used for moderate weight loss surgery or fat reduction may entail:
- Circumferential abdominoplasty. The Lower Body Lift is used for the buttocks, upper legs, hips, etc. to smoothen and decrease the amount of fat in this area. An incision will be made in an inconspicuous area, as determined by your surgeon in the consultation. Learn more about a lower body lift here.
- Tummy tuck. Get rid of muffin tops and spare tires with abdominoplasty. This widely popular cosmetic procedure removes extra fat and skin from the belly and midsection to smoothen and decrease the abdominal area. Clothes will fit better and you will have a reduction in clothing size. You can learn more about the different types of abdominoplasty here.
- Liposuction. Liposuction is combined with either (or both) of the above techniques to pinpoint fat stores and vacuum the fat through a specially designed tool. This powerful device is effective at contouring, smoothing and diminishing fatty accumulation in the least invasive way. Learn more about liposuction and different techniques here.
Because of the drastic changes that an overweight patient will endure to complete a successful fat loss surgery, it may require a stay overnight (or more) at the hospital or surgery center to monitor vital signs and help you get on the right road to recovery in your new, lighter body!
El Paso moderate weight loss surgery preparation
If you’re really overweight, the prospect of having fat reduction surgery may be exciting for you. You may feel like a big weight is about to be lifted off your shoulders (and midsection, etc.) and that you can finally look forward to a healthier lifestyle moving forward. This is a great attitude, but don’t overlook the need for planning accordingly. Fat reduction surgery is still quite a major undertaking so you need to be prepared in order to optimize the healing process.
First of all, do not smoke for at least two weeks before and two weeks after your surgery. There is no room for error and mistakes, so smoking tobacco can be disastrous for people who don’t adhere to the warning. Smoking significantly increases your chances of strokes, blood clots, or even heart attacks and other severe complications. You can see why we might advise against it.
You can also prepare for your fat reduction surgery with:
- Towels, ice packs, gauze, Neosporin and other wound-related supplies.
- Prescriptions prepared in advance; if possible.
- Help from friends. You can’t drive for at least a week or more, so get what you need or have someone help you.
- Enough time off from work to recover, such as two to three weeks after surgery.
- Reading materials and books while you are recovering.
- Comfortable clothes that do not constrict (i.e. – cotton vs. denim).
Tip: Whatever you do, make sure NOT to eat or drink anything after midnight on the evening before your fat reduction surgery.
During a moderate weight loss surgery, you will be under general anesthesia. The surgery should take approximately three to six hours in the operating room, plus you will spend time in the recovery room to be monitored before discharge. Most patients will have to spend at least one night with fat reduction surgery because of its drastic measures of removing fat and to ensure the patient’s safety, first and foremost.
Using liposuction and abdominoplasty, Dr. Agullo will remove extra fat and skin around your abdomen, thighs, back and buttocks. Every fat reduction surgery is highly personalized, since no two people are the same and their height, build and problem areas differ greatly from one patient to the next.
Most often the fat reduction procedure will begin from the back with body contouring in the lower body through the thighs, butt and hips and then move to the front for the abdomen and contouring of other areas of the body. Dr. Agullo uses a combination of techniques to achieve your objectives. Safety is first, and Dr. Agullo will often limit the amount of liposuction performed during each session. You may require multiple procedures to achieve your desire results.
Recovery from moderate weight loss surgery
The results are totally transforming and amazing! After the healing and swelling diminishes, patients are usually shocked and relieved to be rid of all that excess “baggage” of extra weight. However, the first few weeks should be a time for rest and relaxation to help your body heal properly. You will be asked to get up and walk around several times to maintain healthy blood flow.
You will also be recommended to walk and move around as soon as possible to avoid stiffness and blood clots and to keep blood circulation flowing properly. Although Dr. Agullo recommends taking a few weeks off from work, you will start to experience noticeable recovery within four to six weeks. The results will be obvious immediately, although you will continue to improve and it will take up to six months for the final results. You’ll feel more lightweight, able to move and drastically carefree from carrying around all of that extra “baggage” from being overweight. It’s a fast way to shed fat and embrace a newfound you!
Many things play a role in the success of your fat reduction surgery, such as your current health, age, body shape and size, skin elasticity and type, as well as other factors. Most patients who undergo fat reduction surgery in El Paso are thrilled to go shopping for a new wardrobe only a few months after healing.
Risks to fat reduction surgery
The biggest risk to surgery is anesthesia and the body’s ability to adapt to it. Dr. Agullo has a team of board certified anesthesiologist on his staff, but you should always be fully informed about your risks going into any type of surgery.
Fat reduction surgery risks include:
- The need for future surgical redo's
- Excessive bleeding or hemorrhaging
- Blood Clots or stroke
- Infection or pneumonia
- Complications from anesthesia
- Improper healing of scars
By choosing a board certified plastic surgeon you are likely to have the best results. Dr. Frank Agullo has done thousands of cosmetic procedures and will give you great advice about self care measures both before and after your surgery. He is certified by the American Board of Plastic Surgeons and performs all of his operations at accredited health care facilities. Safety is first, and Dr. Agullo will often limit the amount of liposuction performed during each session. You may require multiple procedures to achieve your desire results.
Cost of enhanced fat reduction surgery
We can help you to determine the cost, and this is often an extremely personalized approach taking into consideration your size and the different techniques required. You can expect moderate weight loss surgery in El Paso, Las Cruces, Chihuahua, and Alamogordo – all the way up to Albuquerque – to range in the neighborhood of $15,500 - $35,000. If Dr. Agullo determines that your procedure should be performed at a hospital, the hospital may also charge for anesthesia or overnight visits as needed. Schedule a consultation to determine if weight loss surgery is the best solution for your case and to determine the cost for your procedure
Are you ready to get rid of your fat for life? Click here
to schedule a consultation and meet one-on-one with a Southwestern TX plastic surgeon.
Back to top