What Are the Benefits of Rhinoplasty Revision?
Men and women turn to revision rhinoplasty because they:
- Feel dissatisfied with how their nose looks after a previous rhinoplasty procedure
- Thinks their nose is disproportionate to their other features
- Have an asymmetrical or poorly shaped nose
- Struggle with a nasal blockage that impairs their breathing or disrupts their sleep
Am I a Candidate for Rhinoplasty Revision?
Candidates for revision rhinoplasty have already undergone at least one previous rhinoplasty. Rhinoplasty surgeries can be performed multiple times; however, they become more complicated with each operation.
Men and women interested in rhinoplasty revision:
- Are in good overall health
- Do not have any previous medical conditions that can impact their healing
- Do not smoke
- Have realistic expectations of their results
Are you a candidate for revision rhinoplasty? Call Dr. Agullo at (915) 590-7900 to set up a consultation.
What Is Discussed During My Rhinoplasty Revision Consultation?
During your consultation, Dr. Agullo will:
- Discuss your wishes and expectations for your results
- Try to understand why you are unhappy with your previous rhinoplasty
- Evaluate your nose to the best of his ability to make a surgical plan
- Create a personalized treatment plan
- Explain how to prepare for your revision rhinoplasty
How Is Rhinoplasty Revision Performed?
Your rhinoplasty revision options will be discussed with you during your private consultation. During this appointment, you can communicate any concerns or questions you may have about the surgery.
Using the advanced VECTRA® 3D Imaging System, Dr. Agullo can create an accurate simulation of your results before your procedure. Rhinoplasty revision is performed using general anesthesia, and Dr. Agullo works with some of the best anesthesiologists in the area to ensure patient safety and comfort.
Depending on the complexity of the surgery and the desired extent of correction, it may take a few hours to complete your rhinoplasty. All patients are required to stay in the recovery room for observation for at least one hour, but most can go home shortly after.
Sometimes, Dr. Agullo can improve external aspects of the nose or skin with:
- Steroid injection
Open Rhinoplasty Revision
- This technique allows Dr. Agullo to address the inner structures of the nose with maximum precision.
- For more complex nose corrections, this approach yields the best results.
- Incisions are created along the inside of the nose and on the columella.
Rhinoplasty Revision With Cartilage Graft
- This technique is ideal for those who do not have enough cartilage to perform a traditional rhinoplasty revision.
- Cartilage is extracted from one of the patient’s ribs, ears, or both, and grafted to the nose as needed.
- With a rib graft, a slightly longer recovery is needed, and the chest may be swollen and sore for a few days.
How Should I Prepare for My Rhinoplasty Revision?
Proper preparation is essential for having a comfortable and relaxed recovery. Dr. Agullo will give you thorough instructions to help you get ready for your procedure.
Typically, patients are advised to take the following steps before their scheduled rhinoplasty revision surgery:
- Make arrangements with a friend or relative to take you to your appointment and back home after your surgery.
- Get all of your prescriptions filled before the day of your procedure.
- Gather the necessary paperwork and ID, which will be needed the day of your scheduled procedure.
- Stop using all tobacco products and taking blood-thinning medications for at least two weeks before surgery.
- Be sure to avoid eating or drinking after midnight on your surgery day.
What Are Your Concerns?
What Can I Expect With My Rhinoplasty Revision Recovery?
The recovery after rhinoplasty revision is similar to that of your initial procedure. Your nose will be taped to minimize swelling. Bruising and tenderness can be expected, but these side effects usually resolve within a couple of weeks. Most patients can return to their usual activities two weeks after surgery. When cleared by Dr. Agullo, you may resume exercising. It is recommended to stay out of the sun for a few months to reduce the risk of discoloration.
Is Rhinoplasty Revision Painful?
Rhinoplasty revision is performed under general anesthesia, and you should not experience any pain during the surgery. You may develop some discomfort during the initial healing process. This is commonly a result of bruising, swelling, and nasal packing.
Any discomfort can be lessened with prescribed or over-the-counter pain medication.
Will Rhinoplasty Revision Leave Scars?
While most rhinoplasty incisions are made in the inside of the nostrils, rhinoplasty revision commonly requires the open technique, meaning that an external incision will be made along the columella (the skin between the two nostrils). This incision will be very small and hidden in the crease. This scar will fade with time.
When Will I See My Revision Rhinoplasty Results?
Swelling may last for several months, but the nose should show noticeable improvement after 12 weeks. However, it may take up to one year for the nose to adjust to its new contours and for you to see the final effects of a rhinoplasty revision procedure.
Results of this procedure are intended to be permanent.
What Are Some Frequently Asked Questions About Rhinoplasty Revision Surgery?
Following all recommended aftercare directions can help reduce the risk of complications following rhinoplasty revision. As with all surgeries, some of the potential risks may include:
- Bleeding or hematoma
- Asymmetrical results
- Prolonged swelling
- Abnormal reaction to anesthesia
Often, yes. Any revision procedure is more complicated because the targeted area has already been weakened, and scar tissue has already formed. Often, Dr. Agullo will not be able to get a full view of this scar tissue formation until he has begun the surgery. He will do everything he can to help ensure the best results possible; however, it is very difficult to predict how a nose will heal after rhinoplasty.
Yes, revision rhinoplasties are commonly performed to correct deviated septums and other functional concerns. By doing so, you should experience greater ease when breathing.
While initial rhinoplasty is commonly performed with facelift surgery, revision rhinoplasty is commonly performed alone because it is a longer and more complex surgery.
If you are interested in other facial procedures, discuss these interests with Dr. Agullo to learn more about your options.
Interested in Revision Rhinoplasty?
If you want to learn more about rhinoplasty revision with Dr. Agullo, contact his office by calling (915) 590-7900. Dr. Agullo offers rhinoplasty and revision rhinoplasty for patients in El Paso, Texas, and the greater El Paso area.
Be sure to catch our full transformations live on Snapchat or Instagram @RealDrWorldWide on any given day! #StayBeautiful