Breast Augmentation Revision
If you have undergone breast augmentation with implants in the past but are unhappy with your results, it may be time for breast augmentation revision. Dissatisfaction with breast surgery is the number one reason why women opt for a revision procedure. Women may be displeased with the outcome of their breast augmentation due to poor surgical technique, disproportionately sized implants, postoperative complications, or changes in personal preference.
During this procedure, breast implants may be removed or replaced to restore the breasts to a more appealing aesthetic. Some patients may feel hesitant to undergo another surgery, but Dr. Agullo serves his patients with confidence and compassion, ensuring they have the best experience possible.
- Struggle with complications after an initial breast procedure?
- Desire breast implants of a different size or type?
- Have asymmetrical or otherwise unsatisfactory results after breast augmentation surgery?
- Feel your implants are uncomfortable or disproportionate with the rest of your body?
- Notice your breasts have begun to sag due to weight loss or pregnancy that followed your previous breast surgery?
- Feel your implants displaced to the sides or inferiorly?
- Are you self conscious about rippling?
Breast Augmentation Revision Procedure
This procedure is performed using general anesthesia for optimal patient comfort and safety. Various techniques can be utilized to deliver personalized results that reflect your unique cosmetic objectives. The length of breast augmentation revision surgery varies depending on the extent of correction and surgical details, but a standard procedure takes approximately one hour. After surgery, patients must wait in the recovery room for observation.
Breast Augmentation Revision Techniques
- Saline breast implants: These are the best option if you have asymmetrical breasts because the implants are filled with sterile salt water and can be adjusted to the optimal size during surgery. Another benefit of saline is that the filler can be absorbed naturally by your body should rupture occur. They are cost-effective, require smaller incisions than other types of implants, and produce a noticeably round and firm bosom.
- Silicone implants: These implants produce breasts that look and feel natural. The filler is more lightweight than saline, giving women a comfortable and pleasing result. They also have less risk of rippling, rupturing, or leaking.
- Gummy bear implants: Also silicone implants, but with a more cohesive gel. They tend to retain their shape and projection better. They are also the least likely to cause rippling.
Implant Removal and Breast Lift
The techniques used for your procedure will depend on your aesthetic and anatomical needs. Should a patient want to remove their implants altogether, they may consider a combination of the following techniques:
- Breast lift
For patients who want to minimize visible rippling or conceal the edges of their implants, Dr. Agullo can enhance the breasts with fat transfer. Fat is harvested directly from the patient using liposuction, the tissue is purified, and the healthiest cells are injected around the breast implants. This technique allows for a seamless transition between the natural breast tissue and the implant, producing a natural improvement.
In many cases (especially after multiple capsular contractures, considerable weight loss, or thinning and sagging of breast tissues), reinforcement of the breasts is necessary. Dr. Agullo supports compromised tissue using a tissue scaffold mesh. Revision surgeries often require the creation of a new pocket for the implant, and the scaffold allows for its reinforcement to prevent future capsular contracture and displacement.
Before & After Images
Preparing for Your Surgery
- Avoid eating or drinking after midnight the evening prior to your breast augmentation surgery.
- Avoid using lotions or bath products on your skin on the chest, breast, stomach, arms, and other points close to the surgery.
- Ask someone to bring you to and from the appointment because you cannot drive after receiving anesthesia. Arrange for help with chores, errands, and childcare, if possible, during the initial stage of recovery.
- Bring a bag with your ID and paperwork.
- Remember to wear a button-up blouse or loose-fitting shirt to avoid having to pull anything on or off over your head.
- Cease smoking at least two weeks before surgery and while you are healing to avoid the chance of stroke, delayed healing, infections, or blood clots.
Breast Augmentation Revision FAQs
Dr. Agullo will prescribe the right medication for you to help alleviate postoperative discomfort. Recovery times vary depending on the techniques used. You may feel tired, so it is best to take it easy and get some rest. It is, however, recommended to get up and walk around periodically to promote circulation and prevent blood clots.
Your breasts will feel sore and tender for a few weeks after surgery, but wearing a supportive bra will help with the healing process. Do not wear an underwire or padded bra for at least a couple of months. Avoid any heavy lifting until cleared by Dr. Agullo. If you notice any change in heart rate, dizziness, shortness of breath, blacking out, or chest pain, call your doctor.
Selecting a board-certified plastic surgeon minimizes your chances of experiencing complications after surgery. However, all operations come with risks, some of which include:
- Prolonged swelling or discomfort
- Asymmetrical results
- Bleeding or hematoma
- Abnormal reaction to anesthesia
You will likely notice an immediate improvement to the appearance of your breasts, but residual swelling and bruising can obscure the final outcome. Once all side effects resolve, you can enjoy beautiful and youthful breasts that enhance your figure. Results are intended to be long lasting, but aging, pregnancy, and weight loss can affect the appearance of the breasts over time.
Because breast augmentation revision is customized for each patient, the cost varies from one case to another. Our current fee schedule includes basic prices for our procedures but does not reflect all factors that contribute to the total cost of a unique surgery. An estimate for your procedure will be calculated during your consultation. There is a $100 fee for the consultation appointment, but this is applied to the cost of your surgery. All payments must be paid before your scheduled procedure.