The neck is one of the first areas of the body to show visible signs of aging, such as skin laxity, wrinkles, and fat accumulation. Genetics, age, sun damage, and gravity also play a role in facial and neck aging. As the platysma muscle (which extends from the collarbone to the sides of the neck) thickens over time, it becomes cord-like and produces an undesirable banding commonly known as “turkey neck.” The loss of skin elasticity accentuates neck bands, resulting in a displeasing appearance of the neck. Dr. Frank Agullo is double board-certified both in plastic surgery and general surgery, and he gives neck lift patients throughout Southwestern Texas, New Mexico, and Northern Mexico the beautiful results they desire. Patients who undergo neck lift surgery can restore their neck to a smoother, tighter, and more youthful aesthetic.
- Feel that the condition of your neck gives you an unwanted older appearance?
- Experience noticeable sagging in the neck area?
- Struggle with stubborn neck fat that does not respond to diet or exercise?
- Desire a smoother neck and a more defined jawline?
Neck Lift Procedure
Neck lift surgery is an outpatient procedure that typically does not require overnight observation. Before the operation begins, Dr. Agullo and his staff administer fluids and medication intravenously. Most patients opt for general anesthesia for their neck lift procedure, but some may be candidates for local anesthesia or sedation. The details of your unique surgery will be determined during your initial consultation.
Neck Lift Techniques
- Two incisions are placed just behind or underneath the ears, through which excess skin is removed.
- A third incision may be made underneath the chin.
- The platysma muscle may be altered using this technique.
- Fat can also be excised, if necessary.
- Liposuction is performed using a thin, hollow tube (cannula) and suction technology.
- This technique can precisely remove localized fat from the lower face, neck, and chin.
- Ideal candidates for this procedure have unwanted neck fat and good skin elasticity.
Mini Neck Lift
- One small incision is placed underneath the chin.
- The deep fat is removed, and the muscles are repaired.
- Ideal candidates have noticeable neck fullness without excess skin or wrinkling.
- Patients with skin laxity, visible bands, and pockets of fat in the neck area can benefit from combining skin excision and liposuction.
- The platysma muscle and skin can be tightened in addition to eliminating fat when these procedures are combined.
Preparing for Your SurgeryDr. Agullo will give you preparation and aftercare directions that reflect your personalized procedure during your consultation. You can prepare for your surgery by:
- Not eating or drinking after midnight the night before your scheduled procedure.
- Preparing the necessary medical supplies and ice packs at your home.
- Finding someone to drive you to and from the surgical facility.
- Quitting smoking at least two weeks prior to surgery.
- Not wearing any makeup, lotions, or creams on your face, chin, or neck on the day of your appointment.
- Asking for enough time off from work to recover.
Neck Lift FAQs
Dr. Agullo will apply bandages to your neck, chin, and the incisions behind your ears. These should be kept on for a couple of days. Some discomfort, bruising, swelling, and tenderness in the treated areas can be expected. Taking prescription medication and consuming a liquid diet for a couple of days can help alleviate postoperative discomfort. Some patients choose to avoid social events until their neck heals, which can take a few weeks.
It is rare for patients to encounter significant complications following neck lift surgery. Most risks can be minimized by selecting a board-certified plastic surgeon and following the recommended aftercare instructions. As with all surgeries, the potential side effects associated with neck lift surgery include:
- Numbness in the face or neck
- Blood clots
- Intense itching
- Excessive bleeding/hematoma
- Unfavorable scars
- Skin irregularities or discoloration
- Need for revisional surgery
While some patients see visible improvement in the appearance of the neck following their procedure, it can take several weeks to achieve the full effect. Patients can enjoy a slimmer, tighter neck and a more defined jawline after undergoing neck lift surgery. Results are intended to be permanent, but the neck is still subject to subsequent aging. Using proper sun protection and leading a healthy lifestyle can help slow the aging process and preserve the outcome of your neck lift procedure for many years.
Neck lift surgery is often performed along with other facial rejuvenation techniques to achieve the best results. Qualifying candidates may combine their neck lift procedure with one or more of the following:
Patients who desire scarless facial rejuvenation may be excellent candidates for a FaceTite™ procedure that utilizes EmbraceRF technology. This treatment involves three small needle placements, through which a cannula is inserted to heat and contract the skin.
Because every neck lift is personalized, each is priced differently depending on the patient’s cosmetic objectives, needs, and health. Our fee schedule gives cost estimates of basic surgical fees, but these prices may vary from case to case. The consultation fee is $100, and it is applied to the total cost of your procedure. All payments must be paid in full before your scheduled appointment.