PRP Treatment for Hair Loss
Many patients who worry about hair loss believe that a hair transplant procedure is their only option for obtaining a fuller head of hair. However, a hair transplantation procedure is not always required to counter hair loss. Additionally, not everyone with hair loss needs or is a candidate for surgical treatment. For these patients, we recommend medical, non-surgical solutions, or a combination of medical and surgical procedures for their hair loss problems. Platelet-rich plasma (PRP) promotes hair growth by activating growth factors in the treated areas, and it can be performed as a standalone treatment or after surgical hair transplantation to improve healing.
- Feel self-conscious about having thinning hair?
- Desire a healthier and more youthful head of hair?
- Wish to take a proactive approach to your hair loss?
- Seek a natural solution for hair restoration?
How PRP Treatment Works
PRP is blood plasma that is concentrated with platelets, which (when injected into the desired treatment areas) utilize multiple growth factors and cytokines that promote cell regeneration. PRP is currently used to treat hair loss, improve graft success after hair transplantation, and boost healing responses. For many years, PRP has been used to combat hair loss by stimulating dormant hair follicles, resulting in hair growth and hair loss cessation. This technique is especially useful in patients with miniaturization of the hair shafts, but it is less effective in areas of complete baldness.
The PRP Treatment Process
- Blood is first drawn directly from the patient in a similar manner to that of a traditional blood test
- A small amount of blood is harvested and then purified to created concentrated plasma that contains valuable growth factors
- The harvested blood is immediately processed using advanced centrifuge technology
- The result of the purification process is platelet-rich plasma that can then be utilized for hair loss treatment
- Finally, the PRP is precisely injected into the areas of the scalp that are experiencing hair loss
- PRP can reduce inflammation and trigger cell growth in dormant hair follicles
- When used after a hair transplant procedure, PRP can reduce the healing time and enhance results
Preparing for Your TreatmentTo achieve optimal results after your PRP treatment, it is essential for you to prepare before your appointment ahead of time. Dr. Agullo will provide you with thorough instructions during your initial consultation, but some general preparation guidelines may include:
- Discontinuing the use of anti-inflammatory medications and supplements at least one week before your treatment
- Avoiding anticoagulant medications before your scheduled PRP treatment
- Consuming plenty of clear liquids the day before your procedure
- Having all of the necessary paperwork and your ID ready to bring to your appointment
PRP Treatment FAQs
Yes, PRP is a versatile treatment that can be used to revitalize a patient’s appearance and minimize signs of aging. Some of the methods for facial rejuvenation using PRP are:
- PRP injections
- PRP combined with fillers
- PRP combined with fat grafting
- PRP facial
Pricing depends on the desired extent of correction among other factors. Our current fee schedule lists approximate minimum costs for a range of our surgical and non-surgical procedures. The consultation fee of $100 is applied to the total cost of your treatment. The price of your unique treatment will be determined during your consultation appointment. All payments must be received before your scheduled procedure.
Although a single PRP treatment is effective for hair loss, the most effective protocol is a PRP treatment once a month for four consecutive months. This has been demonstrated in multiple studies. Remember that the hair cycle takes approximately four months, so the results for any hair loss treatment you start will take four to six months to start showing.
The procedure takes approximately 30 minutes. You will be asked to take a warm shower afterward, which further activates the growth factors. You can return to normal activity immediately and exercise in 24 hours.
PRP treatments don't require anesthesia. If you feel anxious about the procedure, we do offer PRO-NOX™ (nitrous gas) to help you relax.
You don’t need someone with you for the treatment sessions. You will be able to drive immediately after the treatment.