Rhinoplasty (for men)
No matter what the reason for seeking rhinoplasty in Southwestern Texas, Dr. Frank Agullo’s talented hands and skilled staff offers nose reshaping affordably. Using the latest technologies, he can give you a glimpse of what your nose will look like after the nose job procedure is done. This is a fairly common procedure that will heal in less time than other plastic surgery procedures. You may need to miss a few days of work, but not as many days as with more extensive plastic surgeries.
Having a nose job can improve a male’s self-esteem and help him present his “best face forward” so that he can face the world with a gorgeous face to match the personality behind it.
What can nose surgery correct?
During your private consultation with Dr. Agullo, he will discuss your main concerns or complaints about your nose. If your facial growth is complete and you are otherwise physically healthy, he can determine what type of corrections you wish to make with your nose reconstruction. In general, having rhinoplasty can help with:
- Enhancing nasal asymmetry
- Size of nose in relation to the rest of face
- Width of nose from the bridge to base
- Profile of nose if visible crooks, dips or humps are visible
- Tip of nose being upturned or drooping
- Nostrils that are too small or large, or upturned
- Restyling noses due to past breaks or improper healing
It is never a good idea to get a nose job based on someone else’s recommendation. Rhinoplasty is an individual decision based on your own comfort level, rather than because of any teasing you may have endured. We say this because of many teens who have not yet grown into their full face and whose noses may be larger than they like, yet once they come to be an adult their nose becomes more proportionate to the rest of their face.
A rhinoplasty or nose surgery is often combined with other facial cosmetic procedures. The most commonly combined procedure is chin augmentation or chin implants. Dr. Agullo will help you determine if a chin augmentation would improve the facial harmony or contour using the Vectra 3D system. Other procedures commonly combined with rhinoplasty include eyelid surgery (blepharoplasty), facelift, fat injections, PRP (protein rich plasma) injections, and hair transplantation.
El Paso rhinoplasty techniques
Dr. Frank Agullo uses a highly advanced Vectra 3D imaging system to give his patients a “before and after” glimpse as to what their nose job will look like after any swelling and healing finishes. Upon determination of which procedure will be best for the individual, either an open or closed rhinoplasty technique will be used to perform the nose reconstruction. Both open and closed rhinoplasties have certain advantages or disadvantages.
- Open rhinoplasty: With open rhinoplasty the surgeon can see the inner structures of the nose with more precision, therefore in complicated nose jobs this type of procedure is more desirable and the effects longer lasting. This is especially true when performing ethnic rhinoplasty to ensure exceptional results. Open rhinoplasty requires an extra incision on the columella and along the inside of the nose. The nasal skin is then carefully repositioned. Open rhinoplasty is most often done in complex nose reconstructive circumstances.
- Closed rhinoplasty: With closed rhinoplasty the plastic surgeon makes several slight incisions on the inside of the nostrils but does not go inside of the nose. This means scarring is virtually invisible. This is ideal, however cannot be used for everyone depending on how extensive their nose job will be. People who need only minor alterations will be the best candidates for this procedure.
Preparing for and undergoing El Paso Rhinoplasty
The first thing you should do to prepare for rhinoplasty is find a qualified surgeon to perform the procedure. Dr. Frank Agullo is board certified and highly recognized as the Albuquerque and El Paso area’s leading plastic surgeon. He can show you before and after pictures and discuss your options and the techniques that would be useful during your one-on-one consultation.
Although getting a nose job is considered minor as compared to many other difficult types of plastic surgery procedures, it is still important to prepare your body. Staying healthy is key to ensure healing quickly and leads to better recovery. Stock up on vitamins that promote healing.
At least a couple of weeks before surgery:
- Avoid tanning beds or being in the sun.
- Stop smoking to avoid the chance of clots, improper healing or poor.
- Don’t spend time in the sun for at least two weeks.
- Don’t take aspirin or any prescription medications containing blood thinners. Some include Ibuprofen, Advil, Motrin, or even natural products like Green tea, St. John’s
- Wort, or other herbal supplements.
- Alert your doctor if you become ill with the flu, cold, any type of skin infection or other illness.
- Even though it is a common facial procedure, you’ll want to take a couple of weeks off from work to recover. There will be swelling and a cast on your nose for a week +.
On the day of your nose job:
- Ask a friend, relative or neighbor to give you a ride to and from the hospital. The reconstructive nose surgery will take couple of hours to complete, plus time in the recovery room. You can’t drive yourself home, it is simply not allowed.
- Don’t drink or eat anything after midnight the day before rhinoplasty.
- Don’t shave for at least a day prior to surgery.
- Avoid lotions on your face.
During rhinoplasty surgery, you will either be doing IV conscious sedation or general anesthesia. IV conscious sedation usually means a speedier recovery, but many patients prefer the general anesthesia to ensure no recollection of the procedure. Dr. Frank Agullo will go over these options with you.
Taping the nasal bridge and area above the tip (supratip) can diminish swelling because the subtle pressure from the tape serves two purposes. For one, it can help press out trapped fluid to reduce swelling; and secondly it puts pressure on the tissues to reduce the size or volume of the portion of the nose that is swollen. Taping is typically done within the first few weeks and up to six months following surgery but you can still see the benefits even if the taping doesn’t start until two months thereafter.
Recovering from rhinoplasty
The first two to twelve weeks after rhinoplasty surgery are when the most significant changes will occur. Swelling gradually goes down after a couple of months and then the nose will gradually shift into its new appearance. It doesn’t happen overnight. In fact, for the first week after the nose cast is taken off, your nose will appear swollen, bruised and will be sore. However, by the end of the second week you should feel comfortable about going out in public and to the casual observer it will be unlikely noticeable that you recently had surgery.
Every individual is different, and depending on how extensive the surgery will be (open or closed technique) may predicate how soon your nose looks the way it should. Healing times vary. After a few months, nearly all of the swelling will have subsided but your nose may appear larger in photographs than it would after the healing is finished. For some people it can take up to a year for the nose’s final shape to be revealed. Keep this in mind when making any social engagements. For example, if you are a groom getting married in a month and want to get a nose job, this may be a bad idea and will be noticeable in pictures. Two months should be appropriate.
For some people swelling on the tip of the nose or over the boney hump in the center can be longer lasting. If you had a rhinoplasty nose hump removal, it is quite common for extra swelling across the most central region of the nasal bridge, particularly where the “hump” was removed. Some patients fear that this bump will be permanent.
Some rhinoplasty patients report having a stiff upper lip within the first few weeks after the nose job or that they have difficulty smiling and making facial expressions. Don’t worry, this is common and will likely resolve itself after the swelling goes down. You’ll soon be smiling again normally in no time.
Swelling can be minimized by taking the proper precautions before the surgery and by applying ice packs to your nose and face for the first 48 hours after rhinoplasty. Also, keeping your head elevated alleviates swelling.
Finally, try to avoid sun exposure for a few months after rhinoplasty because it can cause your skin to become splotchy or red (like a rash). Your skin may be tender and more susceptible to sunburn. Make sure to wear a hat or sunscreen accordingly.
Are there risks to rhinoplasty?
Rhinoplasty is quite common and without a lot of risk if you hire a trusted plastic surgeon to perform the procedure. Dr. Frank Agullo is a renowned board-certified plastic surgeon who is also an accredited member of The American Society of Plastic Surgery. Most risks are primarily associated with drinkers, smokers or people with previous medical conditions that were not made known to the surgeon. Tell your doctor everything and be honest about your lifestyle. Some risks include:
- Reactions from anesthesia
- Amplified swelling
You can ask your doctor if any of your habits or lifestyle activities and health may pose you at a greater risk than someone else.
How much is rhinoplasty for men?
Insurance companies typically do not cover rhinoplasty unless it is for corrective functional defects caused by an injury or disease. But even in these cases it is best to check. Pricing varies depending on the extent of the treatment or surgery. You can see a list of the approximate prices of each procedure on our current fee schedule. Dr. Agullo charges a consultation fee of $100, which is applied to the cost of your treatment. Generally speaking, cosmetic plastic surgery is considered “elective” and is not covered by most insurance plans. The prices listed on our fee schedule represent the minimum cost of the procedures, including anesthesia and surgical facility fees, medical tests, garments, and recovery products. The cost of prescription medications, however, is not included. The exact price of each procedure can only be determined after a thorough consultation. All fees must be paid in full prior to the scheduled treatment.
Having a nose job can greatly improve your self-image and confidence, particularly if you have been unhappy with your nose for a long time or feel unconscious about its size, shape or proportion. You should go into your rhinoplasty surgery with realistic expectations.