If the years have taken their toll on you and left your face sending unintended signals of distress, this can cause emotional anguish. Forehead wrinkles, furrowed brow line, sagging eyelids or drooping brow line can make you appear angry, tired, depressed or sad even if that is not the case. This could be something that developed over time, from aging or spending too much time in the sun, years of smoking, or just your natural expressions that developed unwanted creases in your face. A brow lift can pose a wonderful solution to get rid of these undesirable facial expressions.
A woman’s face is meant to be soft, feminine and graceful. A forehead lift is a surgical procedure that widens the upper eyelids, softens forehead creases and lifts the eyebrows from a droopy disposition. Dr. Frank Agullo is a board certified plastic surgeon in El Paso who is skilled at performing brow lifts to enhance the natural shape of a woman’s forehead. This cosmetic procedure can greatly improve a woman’s outlook and self-esteem.
Ideal candidates are usually middle-aged women over 40 to late 60’s who are in good health and who have realistic expectations about what a brow lift can help them to achieve visually. Brow lifts can also be combined with many other facial cosmetic enhancing procedures. Some include a neck lift, eyelid surgery, rhinoplasty, lip augmentation or even an entire facelift.
Brow lift techniques
The first step in getting a forehead or brow lift is to schedule a one-on-one consultation with Dr. Frank Agullo. He is a graduate from Universidad Anahuac in Mexico City, and trained in general surgery at Texas Tech University, whereupon he then completed plastic surgery training at the world renowned Mayo Clinic in Rochester, Minnesota. With all of this experience, Dr. Agullo can empower his patients to look their very best.
He starts by giving his patients a preview of what the brow lift can accomplish. A conventional brow lift is done by accessing the facial tissue and muscle through a small incision from one ear to the other, just behind the patient’s hairline. The less invasive method is done using an endoscopic procedure that applies a small camera for the surgeon to see beneath the skin. However, although these two are the most common, there are a number of brow lift procedures that are used by plastic surgeons and these depend on the patient, their goals, and the surgeon’s skill level and preference.
Some of the forehead lift techniques include:
- Temporal brow lift: Also called browplasty or brow reshaping, this forehead lift is often done as part of a total facelift and focuses on the contour of the brow line, rather than the height of the eyebrows.
- Endoscopic brow lift or forehead lift: This technologically advanced solution is less invasive and relies on a revolutionary camera that allows the surgeon to work on the rejuvenation of the forehead from underneath the skin, with small incisions. This results in less swelling, bruising and bleeding with quicker recovery.
- Periorbital rejuvenation: The brow line often falls laterally, rather than centrally. When it does, the upper eyelid portrays a “repeating” effect due to loss of skin elasticity. This technique raises the eyebrows, so rather than having a furrowed or “thoughtful” expression of anger, the patient will appear more relaxed with a less stressed demeanor.
- Coronal brow lift: This is a surgical procedure that elevates a drooping eyebrow by making a small incision from one ear to another just behind the hairline of the patient.
- Direct brow lift: This technique is used to adjust “brow ptosis” in which the eyebrow is misaligned due to aging. It might appear sagging or drooping, which can give off a sad face unintentionally. A direct brow lift shifts the position of the eyelids back up to a more desirable position.
Dr. Agullo will explain the different techniques he uses to accomplish the goals of each patient, since everyone is unique and no two brow lifts will be the same.
Brow Lift Preparation and Surgery
Dr. Frank Agullo has performed many brow lifts and forehead rejuvenations throughout Southwestern TX. Preparing for the brow lift is essential to make sure the surgery goes smoothly. He will ask you to:
- Have a medical exam or physical before the surgery
- Stay out of the sun for at least 2 weeks before surgery and 2+ months after.
- Schedule a couple of week’s recovery time from activities.
- Quit smoking at least two weeks in advance of your brow lift.
- Ask a friend to give you a ride to and from the operational facility.
- Avoid applying any makeup, lotion, or facial cream to your face on the day of your surgery.
- Not to take any aspirin or prescription medications, since they may thin out your blood and make you more at risk of a stroke or heart problem.
- Prepare your home with plenty of ice packs, gauze and medical supplies.
- Stop eating or drinking after midnight the night before brow lift surgery.
You will choose between either IV conscious sedation and general anesthesia for an El Paso forehead lift. The latter means you will be completely “under” but does pose a few extra risks than with the semi-conscious option. Ask Dr. Agullo which of these two choices is best for you, personally.
Recovering from Browlift Surgery
Understandably, your brow line and forehead will be sore, tender and swollen for a few days after surgery. You’ll want to keep your eyelids and brows ice packed to minimize swelling. It’s important to get plenty of rest and to ask for enough time off from work, taking care of kids or friends who need you otherwise.
Some people experience moderate swelling or numbness in their forehead area. Others lose hair around the spot of incisions, which is completely normal. Don’t worry, it will grow back. Of course, if your brow lift is done endoscopically then this may not even be a concern to you.
Plan on at least 7 – 10 days before resuming your regular daily activities. And stay out of the sun or any UV rays, at least for a few months thereafter to avoid getting any red or splotchy effects of the sun’s rays.
After you fully recover, you will finally have self-satisfaction in your appearance and your face may look less angry and more rested. Many forehead lift recipients discover that getting a brow lift makes them feel vibrant, self-assured and happier since they once went through life looking mad or unhappy. When you look happy, you feel happy!
What does a brow lift cost?
Everyone is different; therefore no two people will be part of one “set” price for a brow lift. Insurance doesn’t normally cover this cosmetic procedure. Typical prices for a brow lift run in the range of $3,000 – $8,000 depending on whether the procedure is performed endoscopically or traditionally, as well as other factors. The type of anesthesia, operating facility, surgeon’s fees, anesthesiologist’s fee, prescriptions, medical supplies, and other associated expenditures can hike up the cost of a brow lift accordingly. However, most patients are very pleased with the results and feel it is a small price to pay for their “new” best self they will be able to present to the world.
The benefits of getting a brow lift extend beyond just the obvious smoothing of the wrinkles and removal of excess skin. A brow lift makes patients appear more alert, vibrant, youthful, happy, confident and renewed. It is thought to be an optimal way to fight off the signs of aging that so many people wish to reclaim.
Getting a forehead lift is your choice. Schedule a consultation with Dr. Frank Agullo to find out if a brow lift is your solution.